RE: GSM Modem

From: Michael Hutchinson
Subject: RE: GSM Modem
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 11:54:12 +1200

Hello,

Sorry to everyone else for sounding like a broken record.

Wavecom GSM modems are great. They present themselves on a Serial (RS232) port, and use the Hayes AT Command set. Very easy to drive with Gnokii / smsd – have used them myself and haven’t had an issue yet. So much better than trying to drive Cell Phones connected to USB/Serial. Wavecom appear to have been acquired by Seirra Wireless. Here’s a website at any rate:

http://www.wavecom.com/modules/movie/scenes/products/

Check out the Wavecom FastTrack – they sound like the kind of unit you’re after. I’ve employed 2 of these with 2 separate Nagios instances – no problem at all.  A starter bundle is most likely what you want, to get the Mag. Aerial etcetera. There should be a supplier near you that carries this Kit.

Thanks and Cheers,

Michael Hutchinson

Manux Solutions Limited

E-Mail: address@hidden