Re: Unicode I/O for GM2

From: Alice Osako
Subject: Re: Unicode I/O for GM2
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 14:54:46 -0400

Benjamin Kowarsch:
On Mon, 25 Mar 2024 at 01:24, Alice Osako wrote:

While the immediate concern is the test module, which is meant to show that the test characters are correctly manipulated by displaying them to the console, there is a general need for an I/O library for both file and console I/O.

I've tried to solve this problem a few different ways, first using the ISO RawIO operations Read and Write, then with the GCC Base library operations ReadNBytes and WriteNBytes. While I have not tested how they work for file I/O yet, for console I/O the displayed characters are being truncated to display only the first byte of the wide character:
<snip>
My hunch is that the console device driver used by GM2's ISO I/O library is designed only for single-byte character output.

If so, then the device driver will either need to be modified or replaced/bypassed.

To verify this will require some digging, though. Maybe Gaius can shed some light on it.

In the meantime, I would recommend writing the test output into a file. When individual bytes to a file they should not be interpreted as characters by the I/O subsystem. You can then echo the file contents to the console using the shell.

That makes sense. I will try that shortly.

In the meanwhile, I am taking some time to do something I feel I should have done from the outset, which is have a separate set of tests for UNICHAR specifically, in the form of pass/fail tests. I ave mostly gotten it where I want it, though some fail results are still occurring right now and I am not certain if it is the library or the test that is flawed. I'll check the changes in as an interim check-in and work on it a little later, as I will be busy for the rest of the afternoon.