Inquiring about the status of the proposed UNICODE library

From: Alice Osako
Subject: Inquiring about the status of the proposed UNICODE library
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 07:48:22 -0500

As background, I am writing a minimal JSON parser and generator library for Modula-2 as part of a larger project (a Language Server Protocol implementation for Modula-2, which is itself in service of developing yet another unrelated project in Modula-2), and while I would be satisfied in the short run with a parser which is limited to ASCII, I would strongly prefer to properly support the JSON standard as given in RFC 8259.

To this end, I was wondering if there was a UNICODE library available for GNU Modula-2 at this time, so I checked the archives of this mailing list and came across a post by Chris Lilley from October 2010. While the posted message did include the module and definition files for the library, the message itself made it clear that the library was still in early development at that time.

I was wondering if there had been any subsequent development on this library, whether it was released at any point, and what its availability was. Conversely, if there were any other UTF-8 capable Modula-2 libraries I would be interested in hearing about them.

I have gone through the official documentation for GNU Modula-2, as well as checked the GNU software repositories, and found nothing that fit my needs, though it is possible I overlooked something.

I will confess that I am not tremendously fluent in Modula-2 yet, nor am I conversant with the UNICODE standards. I do not see trying to implement a UNICODE library myself as a viable option, at least not without a great deal of study on the problem.

Thank you for your time.