Re: RIP Niklaus Wirth

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: RIP Niklaus Wirth
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2024 18:39:38 +0000

Ben Stuyts <ben@altus-escon.com> writes:

> Sorry to hear this:
> https://www.theregister.com/2024/01/04/niklaus_wirth_obituary/
>
> I started programming in Modula-2 back around ca. 1986 on an Atari-ST
> (TDI-Modula-2). It was quite a revelation after years of programming
> in Forth and C. I’m still using Modula-2 in some of my company’s
> products.
>
> Ben

Thanks Ben - I hadn't seen his obituary and news.  Very sad, I recall
writing to ETH for a tech report as a 2nd year phd student - not sure
whether anything would return.  As it happened, a tech report arrived
posted with a hand written note from Prof Wirth asking me to convey his
regards to a Professor Emeritus.

Indeed modula-2 always seems to be the goldilocks of the Wirthian
languages (obvious bias disclaimer),