Re: GM2 on Darwin 20.4.0/M1

From: Fischlin Andreas
Subject: Re: GM2 on Darwin 20.4.0/M1
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2023 05:38:18 +0000

Dear Benjamin,

[*] quite interesting to learn that other make similar experiences. Our approach was a different one as having as much as possible code written in a simple Modula-2 language (pyramid on its head) and squeeze all system and possibly underlying language dependencies into as small a number of modules as possible: SysDep, Portab, and DMFloatEnv and optionally depending on the target system also CCalls, CMath, and FPU. Despite the attempts to reduce the effort needed for a port, it is still each time considerable time consuming to reimplement those 3 always needed modules. Notably the testing of the numerical aspects in particular including all exception handling of floating point arithmetics typically requires lots of time as identical results are often impossible to achieve, in particular with current hardware designs ignoring the numerical theory. The testing needs then to focus on similar results staying within a “reasonable” boundary of deviation. My next project here is using P1 with native Silicon Mac support. So far I have never managed to get a gm2 port done.

Andreas

ETH Zurich
Prof. em. Dr. Andreas Fischlin
IPCC Vice-Chair WGII
Systems Ecology - Institute of Biogeochemistry and Pollutant Dynamics
CHN E 24
Universitaetstrasse 16
8092 Zurich
SWITZERLAND

+41 44 633-6090 phone
+41 44 633-1136 fax
+41 79 595-4050 mobile

             Make it as simple as possible, but distrust it!