Re: Dynamic mutidimensional arrays

From: Benjamin Kowarsch
Subject: Re: Dynamic mutidimensional arrays
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 18:32:38 +0900

Hi Michael

On Wed, 5 Apr 2023 at 18:21, Michael Riedl wrote:

If what I can read in this discussen is the solution I would ask to get my problem back :-)

You need to distinguish two things:

(1) What is possible with PIM and ISO Modula-2 as they are, call it workarounds if you will; and

(2) What is possible when designing a solution unconstrained by the existing dialects.

If you are going to work with PIM or ISO, then those workarounds are available.

But if you want to add new features, then they should not be devised carelessly as kludges. Just because ISO M2 has multi-dimensional open arrays doesn't necessarily mean that the best solution is to also add multi-dimensional array types to the language. If there is a more general solution, then the opportunity shouldn't be wasted on a lesser general approach. There are several more general solutions one could extend the language with.

regards
benjamin