Re: Dynamic mutidimensional arrays

From: Benjamin Kowarsch
Subject: Re: Dynamic mutidimensional arrays
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2023 02:10:21 +0900

Hi Andreas

On Wed, 5 Apr 2023 at 01:39, Fischlin Andreas wrote:

Now of course, as Benjamin rightly pointed out, one disadvantage of PIM M2 is that you need "procedures like WriteThis, WriteThat, WriteYetAnotherThat.” for the functionality of Write, which is also true of course for any functionality such as matrix algebra.

This can be solved by telling the compiler how to associate library provided functionality with built-in syntax.

We have done this in our revision and call it syntax binding.

https://github.com/m2sf/m2bsk/wiki/Language-Specification-(10)-:-Syntax-Binding

With such a facility, people no longer need to ask "Can you add X to the language please?".

Now, I am not saying that Gaius should add this to the PIM and ISO modes of GM2.

Instead, my points are (1) there usually is a general solution and (2) generality/genericity is preferable to specificity.

regards
benjamin