Re: [Glug-nith-discuss] How to restore the system settings in ubuntu 8.0

From: RAMAKANT AGRAWAL
Subject: Re: [Glug-nith-discuss] How to restore the system settings in ubuntu 8.04
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 21:02:55 +0530

Yes i was in the midst of installing star dict. I was installing it some day before and the synaptic manager was showing a message " setting nws..." but nothing happened for long . I tried to shut down the synaptic manager but could not do it , i had to swith off my computer manually.

 And now i face one more problem that when ever i try to open synaptic manager i get a message
                         "E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure   -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report."

And if run "dpkg --configure -a" then the same "setting nws..." is comming and nothing happens.

i googled it but could not get any proper results.

regards,
Ramakant

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 6:06 PM, Vivek Shah <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 9:40 PM, RAMAKANT AGRAWAL
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Sir there is a mistake on the last line of my last message the correct line
> is:

Please dont use terms like "Sir" on a public list.

To get on with the problem where you in the midst of installing
something when this error occurred ?

Did you google around for the error? The error messages you sent are
pretty common with lots of threads, here are some probable helpful
links

On a sidenote killing some processes should not affect your future
logins unless you are reusing the old session.

Regards,
Vivek