Re: [Glug-nith-discuss] Installing Debian from Windows

From: Vivek Shah
Subject: Re: [Glug-nith-discuss] Installing Debian from Windows
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 17:41:01 +0530

On Sat, Mar 03, 2007 at 04:17:09PM +0530, Arjun Shankar wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 03, 2007 at 03:09:40PM +0530, Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray wrote:
> > http://goodbye-microsoft.com/
> >
> > The site has a installer for Debian GNU/Linux that runs on Windows. Here
> > are some screenshots as well: http://goodbye-microsoft.com/screenshots/
>
> Interesting. But dont you think anyone wanting to seriously install
> debian will probably already know his/her way around a standard debian
> installer? ;)

Exactly why would anyone want to run the installer from Windows itself when
if you want to install you will have to download the installer and then run
it unless you really want kicks for kicking Windows from within it.. I checked
out the link and over there if you want to install you can run install.exe
using WINE too and so even if you are running Fedora and have Wine installed
you can switch to Debian but the point remains why not the proper installer??
I looked for it and this the answer I guess check this link
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/install.exe

After going through it it made me wonder what happened to Ubuntu's plan to
ship free cds to faze out Windows??? Are the ships costlier or what? Look
at the reasons listed in this link but doesnt sound convincing.
Regards,
Vivek

--
Be nice to people on the way up, because you'll meet them on your way down.
                -- Wilson Mizner