gforth

Re: Cross compiling

From: Francesco Ariis
Subject: Re: Cross compiling
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2021 21:42:23 +0100

Il 01 marzo 2021 alle 19:32 Ethan Gardener ha scritto:
> JonesForth author credited another Forth as helping him understand how to do
> it, but didn't say it was a direct translation. jonesforth.f is shorter than
> jonesforth.S, but so much of both files are comments, it's hard to compare
> the code sizes. (87% of jonesforth.S is comments, but my regexps fail me on
> jonesforth.f. I should write some Forth to parse it, but old habbits die
> hard.) Some of its assembly language is more complex than it needs to be,
> supposedly for the purpose of making it a good tutorial. (I don't know how
> that works.) In any case, I imagine JonesForth's double-indirect threading
> would be good for 8-bit systems. The original uses GNU As assembly syntax
> which is not everyone's favourite, but there are Nasm translations out there.

For what it is worth

    f@extensa:~/spool/jonesforth_$ cloc jonesforth.f jonesforth.S
       2 text files.
       2 unique files.
       0 files ignored.

    github.com/AlDanial/cloc v 1.81  T=0.06 s (33.6 files/s, 68888.5 lines/s)

    Language                     files          blank        comment
code

    Forth                            1            298            152
1338
    Assembly                         1            468           1066
779

    SUM:                             2            766           1218
2117