Re: [Getfem-users] Questions about user-defined strain energy

From: Konstantinos Poulios
Subject: Re: [Getfem-users] Questions about user-defined strain energy
Date: Sat, 28 May 2022 22:05:13 +0200

Dear David,

It works for me with
        model.add_nonlinear_generic_assembly_brick(mim,
                          "paramsIMR(1)* ( Matrix_j1(F*F') - 3 )\
                          + paramsIMR(2)* ( Matrix_i2(F*F')*pow(Det(F*F'),-2/3) - 3 )")
so you must have hit a bug in Matrix_j2.

BR
Kostas

On Sat, May 28, 2022 at 4:42 PM David Danan <daviddanan9021@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Yves,

first, thanks for your detailed answers!

For the first question, at this point, i guess it's much more convenient at this point to share a script containing a minimal (not) working test regarding this difference.
I have kept the incompressibility brick in both cases.

For the second question, it seems clear, thanks.
For the third question, providing the _expression_ of the stress tensor directly instead is fine by me, it's not very difficult using the invariants already available in the GWFL combined with some macro.

While i am at it, i have another question.
It is somehow related to the one in the following thread but for the divergence of a tensor field
https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/getfem-users/2015-03/msg00009.html

I would like to check the satisfaction of the equilibrium equation (i.e. div(P) + f0, where Pi is a stress tensor and f0 is a volumic force). To do so, i gave it a try without volumic forces
    value=gf.asm_generic(mim=mim, order=0, _expression_="Norm_sqr(Div(clambda*Trace(Green_Lagrange_E)*Id(2)+2*cmu*Green_Lagrange_E))", model=model,region=-1)
where Green_Lagrange_E is a macro defined by
    model.add_macro("epsilon", "(Grad_u+(Grad_u)')/2")
    model.add_macro("Green_Lagrange_E", "epsilon+ (Grad_u)'*Grad_u/2")
but it failed (Error in macro expansion. Only variable name are allowed for macro parameter preceded by Grad_ Hess_ Test_ or Test2_ prefixes)

Next, i tried to check whether i could at least apply the Div operator to Grad_u directly instead, like that
    value=gf.asm_generic(mim=mim, order=0, _expression_="Norm_sqr(Div(Grad_u))", model=model,region=-1)
but it also failed, Grad_u was not recognized.

Is there a way to do that? I see that it's possible to have access to the hessian of the model variables; is rebuilding div(P) from the hessian the only way to compute this quantity?
Best regards,

David.