gcmd-devel

[gcmd-dev] Search to be removed from Gnome Commander(?)

From: Uwe Scholz
Subject: [gcmd-dev] Search to be removed from Gnome Commander(?)
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 19:13:49 +0100

Hello people,

happy new year to all of you. This is just a quick update from the Gcmd
coding front.

I could close all open issues which are waiting for the 1.14.0 release.
All but one. ;-)

At the moment, the search functionality (through F9) is driving me
crazy. It is crashing with a meaningless error all the time. I think it
has something to do with threading and the pango library, used for
drawing strings on the file list. But as I am not sure and I have
currently no idea how to fix those crashes I think I will remove the
internal search of Gnome Commander and replace it with a user-defined
command. Like it is done with the external viewer.

There are some graphical alternatives for file searching, like for
example catfish or recoll.

Let me know what you think.

Best
Uwe