gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] gcmd - where to start

From: Alexander M. Gardner
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] gcmd - where to start
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 14:51:44 -0400

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 20:44:57 +0100
From: Christian Mallwitz <address@hidden>
To: Gnome-commander development list <address@hidden>

Hi,

I think it would be terrific if we can get an update for gcmd build
and published but I have two major concerns:

1) gcmd is using Gnome 2 which is _really_ outdated - without a major
rewrite we will never properly integrate with a Gnome 3 desktop (of
any flavour) which leads to

2) C++ as implementation language - it reduces the number of people
willing to contribute from maybe 10 to 1-2 actually being able to.
There are major pieces of Gnome 3 software implemented in Python and
PyGObject and if we would go down this route I suspect there are many
more people able to supply a quick bug fix.

Cheers
Christian

Hi,

Should there be a discussion on whether to stay w/ Gnome at all? I left Gnome when I saw the direction it was moving. I suspect many others moved as well, to either XFCE or Mate. Is GCMD a good fit for Gnome 3? Is Gnome 3 a good fit for GCMD? Would the rewrite need to be as extensive (or even more extensive?) to move to XFCE or Mate? If a major rewrite is to be undertaken, now would be the time to decide in which direction to go.

As far as Python v C/C++ goes, and keep in mind I am not a programmer, is there a compromise possible? For example, rewriting the parts that are in need of major updates in Python, leaving the other parts in C/C++ for now? Or, if the capability to provide rapid bug fixes is the concern, do the rewrite in C/C++ but allow bug fixes in Python until the C/C++ people can write the the final fix (having written that, it sounds impossible though)? I am obviously ignoring the performance differences between C/C++ and Python, leaving that for the more knowledgeable.

Thanks.
Alex