gcmd-devel

[gcmd-dev] Placeholders

From: Michael
Subject: [gcmd-dev] Placeholders
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 00:26:50 +0100

> Good point. Anyway we'd need some 'placeholders' which will be expanded
> while executing the command

Actually, i was trying to figure how to get the 'pwd' in a 'custom command'
right today... do you think you could manage to allow placeholders there too ?

> I propose the following:
>
>     %f  file name (or list for multiple selections)
>     %F  escaped filename (or list for multiple selections)
>     %p  full file system path (or list for multiple selections)
>     %P  escaped full  files ystem path (or list for multiple selections)

I'm not sure what you mean here... % escapes like in browser URL ?

>     %u  fully qualified URI for the file (or list for multiple
> selections)

That's for samba/nfs/ftp/whatever remote connections right ?

How about %U for escaped URI (don't know if that makes sense)

>     %d  full path to the directory containg file

so here's the pwd thing.

>     %D  escaped full path to the directory containg file

....or list, in case of files of several directories are selected ... no ?
oops, i was at 3.1.5 instead of 1.3.5 :):)

>     %s  synonym for %p (for compatibility)
>     %%  percent sign

I see a problem when you would want several 'lists' like %f and %u. How would
you know where one list ends, and the next begins ? Admittedly it may be a rare
case. Yet, it could be solved with a integer containing the number of selected
files (%n). Maybe could have other uses, too...

> The same may apply to all defined applications (like editor, viewer,
> etc.). What about it?

Great !

Did you know Linus Torvalds likes Gnome Commander ?