gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] Simple mimetype editor

From: Michael
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] Simple mimetype editor
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 23:52:22 +0200

Magnus Stålnacke <address@hidden>:

> Michael wrote:
> >
> > I just wonder if it's a good idea to mention the source package of the
> > gnomevfs-infog command, in case someone doesn't have it installed.
>
> Yea, i am thinking about some README file.
> Will add that later..
> >
> >> Well anyway. If you have suggestions, please feel free to
> >> post them here or in a private mail.
> >
> > Maybe like
> >
> > "The list shows the applications that have an entry for the specified
> > mimetype in their local desktop  configuration file, meaning they are
> > capable to deal with that mimetype.
> > You can choose the default application by checking the radiobutton. The
> > script will adjust your local mimetype settings, namely the defaults.list
> > file, which is used by gnome to sort out which application to use and show
> > as default."
>
> Thanks.
> I have just uploaded a new version, with a slightly
> modified version of your text.
> http://web.telia.com/~u97007522/linux/code/mimeedit/

Better :)

It yet goes mad on 'application/octet-stream' though.
Several 'default' apps checked.
Try to open a logfile, for example.

> The files used by gcmd or nautilus or whatever gnomeish
> is the cache-file and those .desktop files. The defaults
> list is not used for anything other than the creation of
> the cache file.

Are you sure ?

In mimeinfo i have:
text/plain=gedit-usercreated.desktop;nedit-usercreated.desktop;mcedit-usercreated.desktop;gedit.desktop;

I changed defaults.list to 'nedit' and immediately nedit is used for txt.
The mimeinfo file still is unchanged. If i remove the defaults list, still any
modification in mimeinfo (from gedit to nedit) has no effect. BUT before you
jump into testing, please read on:

After i used mimedit on ocet-stream, i found a corrupted mimeinfo.cache with
these final lines:
Applications]
video/3gpp=vlc-usercreated.desktop

This is additional to the unmodified video/3gp entry above:
video/3gp=vlc-usercreated.desktop;xine-usercreated.desktop;
and this action wasn't about video at all, too.
Also, my file already has a section header: [MIME Cache] ... so where comes
this "Default" thing from ? Any chance this one is indicating 'don't expect a
no defaults.list, instead use the mimeinfo entries order' ?

btw. Do you know what the desktop file option "NoDisplay=true" means ?