fsuk-manchester

Re: [Fsuk-manchester] "Selling" Free software to the masses

From: Tony Arnold
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] "Selling" Free software to the masses
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 12:48:05 +0000

Lucy,

Lucy wrote:
> 2009/12/28 Tony Arnold <address@hidden>:
>>
>> Lucy wrote:
>>> How about writing a simplified, non-technical version of the four
>>> freedoms.. something like:
>>>
>>> With Free software:
>>> 1. You are free to use the software however and where ever you like.
>>> 2.  You are able to share it with your friends, and everyone else.
>>> 3. You are allowed (even encouraged) to understand how it works.
>>> 4. You can make changes to the software and share those changes with others.
>> I would concentrate on the first two if you are aiming this at people
>> who do not have a clue how software is made. The last two have little or
>> no meaning to non geek users, important thought they are!
>
> Depends how long the piece is to be. I feel that it's something
> significant that people can understand. It's also important when
> aiming at the education sector or businesses.
>
> Incidentally, did you realise that you sent this to me rather than the
> whole list? Please feel free to forward on my reply if you want.

Oops! No, I assumed reply would send it to the list! Should have looked.

Regards,
Tony.
--
Tony Arnold,                        Tel: +44 (0) 161 275 6093
Head of IT Security,                Fax: +44 (0) 870 136 1004