Re: Fw: How to have sharp fonts?

From: Craig
Subject: Re: Fw: How to have sharp fonts?
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2023 08:52:43 -0800

great response,  I've been on this path for a while as well.

People with low vision have an argument that Linux fonts are generally
worse, by default, than ios/android/windows counterparts.  In most
cases it's the increased dpi/density that helps offset the blurry fonts.
Perhaps somebody can recommend a monitor that actually gets above
100dpi?

I take a hybrid approach, and disable antialiasing for "small" fonts,
and start antialiasing at about 17 points or higher.  This is extraordinarily
difficult on most linux desktops, on all apps.

~/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf should have something like this,

<test name="pixelsize"qual="any"compare="less_eq">
<double>17</double>
</test>
<edit mode="assign"name="antialias">
<bool>false</bool>
</edit>

Mozilla apps like firefox and thunderbird will ignore this, so consider
their own configuration options:

browser.display.auto_quality_min_font_size   14
gfx.text.disable-aa                        false

Chrome/Brave seem to use their own rendering engine, which
is better, but they do try to honor the above fontconfig values.

In addition, linux uses flatpacks/snaps and increasingly different
packaging/containers, which happily ignores your settings, and
uses their own fonts making the problem even worse.

Font creators and packagers no longer take into account users
of non-antialised fonts, and the fonts are getting worse in this
regard..  For example "fonts-liberation2" are much worse than
the older "fonts-liberation"  when it comes to non-antialiasing,
so we have to remove the assuming fonts that render poorly with
antialiasing diabled.

I'm happy with my font situation now on ubuntu 22.04, but it took
several full-time days to get it this way spread over months.

in my experience,
-edfardos