Re: Freetype-devel post from address@hidden requires approval

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Freetype-devel post from address@hidden requires approval
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2021 07:56:49 +0000 (UTC)

Lenka,

The error is exactly as my crystal ball told you :-)

> cc ...\
>    -I/../../usr/local/include/freetype2 ... \
>    -c Src/main.c -o Src/main.o

Compilation works correctly, assuming that your newly installed
FreeType is located in `/usr/local/include`.

> cc -g -lrt -lpng -pthread -lfreetype ...

Linking, however, fails: You only have `-lfreetype` without saying
where to look for `libfreetype`.  For this reason, the linker picks up
the system version.

To fix this you need to insert `-L/usr/local/lib` (or
`-L/usr/local/lib64` depending on your system) before `-lfreetype`.
Usually, this is done by adding the `LDFLAGS` variable to the call of
your application's `configure` script, for example

  ./configure LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib" ...

In case you are using a different build tool you have to look up how
to prepend a directory to the list of directories searched for library
files.