Re: coverage to alpha

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: coverage to alpha
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2021 16:27:57 -0400

On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 11:14 AM Eric Muller <emuller@amazon.com> wrote:

> On the one hand, we have a coverage map, i.e. for each pixel how much of it
> is covered by the outline.
>
> On the other hand, we are blending a foreground (text) color with a
> background color. So we need some alpha, and use it for a linear blending, in
> a linear colorspace.
>
> What is not clear to me is how to go from coverage to alpha. Identity is
> plausible, but there are also reasons to believe it is not:

Coverage is a pixel proportion that draws the outline foreground
color: Coverage == opacity (aka alpha). It is more than plausible, it
is justifiable. It certainly helps to use gamma correction too so that
blending is linear.

> - things like White's illusion show that the perception works in strange ways

I do not know why you are concerned, or how, or why you want to
compensate for this using coverage or alpha.

> - "One usually begins by assuming that nothing is known about the object
> world and then the diffraction limit outlines the range of object details
> that an image transfer allows to be gained and, by exclusion, those that it
> leaves undetermined. On the other hand, it might be known ahead of time that
> the ensemble of possible objects is restricted. Then distinctions can be made
> by concentrating on the expected differences and disregarding image aspects
> that might have arisen from sources known beforehand to be absent." (Optical
> superresolution and visual hyperacuity, Westheimer), which can explain how
> readers can perceive gray pixels differently (i.e. expecting black and white,
> and therefore perceiving gray as width)
>
> - may be the alpha should also depend on the foreground/background color

FreeType prefers to stay out of it. We sell *coverage*. Take it or
leave it. Once bought, you can do whatever you want with it in the
context of your perception experiments :)

> - may be the alpha should also depend on the ppem.

Again, we sell coverage. It looks great as alpha with gamma correction.