Re: complex boundaries

From: Jean-Noël Grad
Subject: Re: complex boundaries
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 02:03:52 +0100

Hi,

At the moment, 4.2.0 only supports basic shapes and metashapes (unions of basic shapes [1]). But in 4.3.0, it will be possible to provide a 3D bitmask numpy array to construct arbitrary geometries, as well as a 3D float numpy array to define the slip-velocity on individual nodes. In the attached pypresso script, a random landscape is generated with numpy.random.uniform and a smoothing kernel (lb_input_geometry.jpg), and it is forwarded to the walberla LB fluid class to define the boundary nodes, which are then visualized in the OpenGL visualizer (lb_espresso_visu.png). However the particles won't bounce off the LB boundary. To address that issue, one could for example derive normal vectors from the boundary surface to construct a 3D force field, which can then be used to repel particles via the field coupling feature [2].

We are still working on the 4.3.0 version of ESPResSo, though. You can try the development version by pulling the walberla branch locally [3]; the attached script should work on commit 9e6ddbb9c18f839450 (the `viridis` visualization option won't work).

Best,
JN

Links:
[1] https://espressomd.github.io/doc/espressomd.html#espressomd.shapes.Union [2] https://espressomd.github.io/doc/espressomd.html#espressomd.constraints.ForceField