Re: Discussion: Switching Esprseso to shared memory parallelization

From: Rudolf Weeber
Subject: Re: Discussion: Switching Esprseso to shared memory parallelization
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 12:23:16 +0200

Dear colleagues,

thank you for your feedback with regards to the discussion about Espresso's
parallelization.

After further debate, we decided to keep the MPI parallelization so as to keep
the door open for the simulation of large systems.
Having said that, the majority of the simulations currently performed with
Espresso run on less than 10 cores. Optimizing for that scale is therefore
where we will put most of our effort.

When new features are added to Espresso, we will strive to offer a distributed
memory parallelized implementation. In those cases, where the effort for
parallelization is disproportionate, we may, however, defer the
parallelization, until a specific use cases comes up.

We are currently investigating using performance portability libraries to gain
more flexibility. This is not a short-term endeavour, though.

Regards, Rudolf

--
Dr. Rudolf Weeber
Institute for Computational Physics