Re: Problem with LB parameters in EspressoMD units

From: Ulf D Schiller
Subject: Re: Problem with LB parameters in EspressoMD units
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2021 12:35:34 +0000

The basic units for LB are the lattice spacing a, the fluid time step h,
and the density \rho_0. To keep the fluctuating LB algorithm stable, one
would normally determine a from the characteristic length scale, h from
the kinematic viscosity, and \rho_0 from the thermal energy scale, i.e.,

R = \hat{R} a
\nu = \hat{\nu} a^2/h
kT = \hat{kT} rho_0 a^5/h^2

Note that the mass scale sets the amplitude of thermal fluctuations.

Once you have chosen \hat{\nu}, the diffusion coefficient can be
calculated from the Schmidt number (Sc=\nu/D).

Hope this helps,
Ulf

--
ULF D. SCHILLER
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR, MATERIALS SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING

299C Sirrine Hall
Clemson, SC 29634
o 864-656-2669
uschill@clemson.edu