Re: [ESPResSo-users] Force scaling wrong

From: Ulf Schiller
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-users] Force scaling wrong
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 17:06:37 +0000

On 02/28/2015 12:09 PM, Joost de Graaf wrote:
> Dear Floh & Marcello,
>
> I'm not sure if it's that good an idea to make the forces read-only. I
> can assure you, they are definitely not that way in the current code and
> for good reasons. If you want to reinitialize the LB fluid, you need the
> reuse_forces command, to account for the fact that the LB use of forces
> is half a time step off of that in the main integration loop. That's why
> you want to keep them settable. (as I wrote this Henri's message came in).

This is only needed if you desire exactly reproducible trajectories
(which of course is helpful for debugging). The sampling would still be
valid (and actually more accurate) if one just recalculates the forces
(adjusting the noise amplitude appropriately). That is basically just
another instance where velocity dependent forces reduce the accuracy of
ESPResSo's integrator by an order anyways, same for the LB update.

Cheers,
Ulf

--
Ulf D. Schiller