espressomd-devel

Re: [ESPResSo-devel] New GitHub Terms of Service

From: Florian Weik
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-devel] New GitHub Terms of Service
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2017 09:13:13 +0000

Hi all,
Welcome to the cloud. Just to ad my 2 cents: I think at least technically Ulf is correct. This makes it impossible to put code that you don't have the copyright for (as opposed to have been granted a licences to use it) to github. This is especially ill-fitting for jurisdictions like Germany where copyright can not be transferred. This is not so much a problem for ongoing development on github (the users have to agree to githubs ToS to get any code in, so that they automatically grant github the required licence) but impossible to fulfill for legacy code. We would have to contact all authors and ask for permission to use their code on github, which we obviously will not do. The analysis in the SO thread that Kai posted seems to come to a similar conclusion. One can only speculate what their rational behind this is (I think use in search and so on would have been fair use...), but I don't think we should go with this. Since we are running a gitlab instance in Stuttgart anyway, one way would be to continue development there, which would avoid such problems also in the future. A downside might be that tool integration is not as good, e.g. for travis, but I'm not sure about that. Alternatively we could just wait, assuming that this particular problem was overlooked and github will change its ToS. After all this affects all open source projects that do not have a contributors agreement that transfers all rights, including e.g. the Kernel.

Cheers,
Florian