espressomd-devel

[ESPResSo-devel] Random Numbers

From: Joost de Graaf
Subject: [ESPResSo-devel] Random Numbers
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 15:53:04 +0100

Dear All,

A quick question: can you seed t_random and bit_random at the same
time in a simulation and if so, which one effects the random number
generation for the thermalization in ESPResSo? I think the User's
Guide states that it is t_random. But is bit_random then only used on
the Tcl level? I was wondering about this, because I want to pass the
seed for t_random to the random number generator of the LB_GPU such
that it no longer suffers from correlation problems (in specific
cases) because of it being seeded with the same value every time it is
called. But if both can be used to effect the behavior of the random
number generation, one would still want the bit_random seed to be
passed if no t_random seed is passed and vice versa.

KR, Joost