Re: "2045" by Man With a Mission breaks EMMS

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: "2045" by Man With a Mission breaks EMMS
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2022 12:43:58 -0400

jay elliott <snickerbockers@washemu.org> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm currently unable to import my music into EMMS because it hits the
> following errors:
>
> Wrong type argument: sequencep, 2045
> Error running timer ‘emms-later-do-timer’: (wrong-type-argument sequencep
> 2045)
>
> Coincidentally, I happen to have a song in my library called "01 -
> 2045.mp3" (from the japanese band "Man With a Mission", if you're
> curious).  I have confirmed that removing this song actually resolves
> the problem, so I assume this must be some sort of improperly-escaped
> string or something, but I don't actually know lisp so I'm unable to
> debug further.
>
> My EMMS version is 20220609.1859, and I got it from melpa.  I have not made
> any modifications.
>
> Below is my *Messages*.  During this session i ran emms-cache-reset and
> emms-add-directory-tree, which is why it starts rebuilding the cache.

> For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
> Wrong type argument: sequencep, 2045
> next-line: End of buffer [4 times]
> command-execute: Buffer is read-only: #<buffer *Messages*> [2 times]
> Quit
> Making completion list...
> Quit
> Saving emms track cache...
> Wrote /home/snickers/.emacs.d/emms/cache
> Saving emms track cache...done
> Building playlist...done
> C-x C-g is undefined
> EMMS: 800 tracks to go..
> Error running timer ‘emms-later-do-timer’: (wrong-type-argument sequencep
> 2045)

Which info backend are you running (the value of `emms-info-functions'
variable)? My first guess is that `emms-info-native', which is written
in elisp, is barfing on some encoding.

Can you please try to change the info backend to `emms-info-libtag',
`emms-info-tinytag', or `emms-info-exiftool' and see if it happens with
any of those?

Note that, unlike `emms-info-native', all of those last three require
the installation of an external program:

`emms-info-libtag' requires that you compile and install the
emms-print-metadata program that comes with Emms (which in turn calls
the TagLib library)

`emms-info-tinytag' calls the python library of the same name.

`emms-info-exiftool' calls the exiftool command line.

Thank you.