Re: Adding lisp functions to the playlist

From: Alex Griffin
Subject: Re: Adding lisp functions to the playlist
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2022 02:05:12 +0000

“Yoni Rabkin” <yoni@rabkins.net> writes:

> However, it should come with appropriate warnings and
> protections. Otherwise, if someone has an “action” track which reboots
> the machine, and they hit emms-shuffle and play… emms-actions.el will
> have to provide ample protection from surprising the user.
>
> Also, you’d need to make sure that the cache and similar functionality
> isn’t broken by coming across an action track.

Maybe users should be prompted to just remove all actions from the
playlist when they shuffle, since the whole point here is to schedule
actions to run based on upcoming songs, which you can’t do once it’s
randomized.

> Another idea is to add a property such as `before-action’ and
> `after-action’ to any track, which store a function, and have
> emms-action.el funcall that. This is already pretty close to hooks, but
> track-specific.
>
> What do you think?

That would work too, but I’d want some visual indicator that a track
has actions associated with it. I don’t like the idea of invisible
actions in my playlist.

> Sounds like an interesting idea. Perhaps call it emms-actions.el? It
> would entail adding a new track type. It might look something like this:
>
> […]

Thanks, that’s really helpful! I’m not sure when I’ll find time to
write this (especially since I’m preoccupied with Emacs bankruptcy at
the moment), but I’m definitely motivated to find an easy way to queue
actions based on my emms playlist. I’ll be back with more questions
and/or updates.

Thanks,
–
Alex Griffin