Re: Adding a description text property for a track

From: Yuchen Pei
Subject: Re: Adding a description text property for a track
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2022 07:56:29 +1100

On Tue, Mar 15 2022, Yoni Rabkin wrote:

> Yuchen Pei <hi@ypei.me> writes:

>>> Agreed, I think url track types could have their own info function.
>>
>> I added a info function for url track types using youtube-dl / yt-dlp:
>>
>> <https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emms.git/commit/?h=info-ytdl&id=13a862a99c740f960dd74205f106760314e6faab>
>> <https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emms.git/commit/?h=info-ytdl&id=6b3b9edc5a4b6b936b468b9d3bfd472570532335>
>>
>> It supports all urls supported by youtube-dl / yt-dlp, including
>> mediagoblin (e.g.[1]), peertube (e.g.[2]), and popular video hosting
>> platforms that shall not be named.
>>
>> [1] https://media.libreplanet.org/u/libreplanet/m/fs-awards-ceremony/
>> [2] https://framatube.org/w/ptK47LvsEGYAqMDs9ktziX
>>
>> Let me know what you think.
>
> We can't add this as it is at the moment since it tries, as far as I can
> tell, to run any "https" entry through ytdl.

It only does so when you add an url, and leaves all existing playlist
tracks alone.

> I have plenty of https
> streams that are simply internet radio stations and other such streams
> that have nothing to do with the software ytdl supports.

Well, you have the option not to add it to the emms-info-functions list.
In general there are plenty of features in emms that are not included in
the default config, like the many other info functions, where the user
has to enable explicitly.

Also note that nothing will happen if youtube-dl / yt-dlp does not
support the url and the info function runs nothing will happen to the
track.

> The other issue is that it shouldn't be specific to youtube or ytdl.

It uses youtube-dl / yt-dlp, which supports many media hosting
platforms, so it is not specific to youtube.  It is called
emms-info-ytdl because that is the common name for youtube-dl, and kind
of a common subsequence of the name of the two programs.

> If
> anything, it should promote mediagoblin.

Would you like me add a comment in the info function "it supports
mediagoblin, peertube, among other things"?

If anything this feature will entice people who watch youtube to use
emacs / emms, not the other way around.

> Better still, it should be
> named something like emms-info-streaming-video,

At this moment each info function (e.g. emms-info-exiftool) is named by
the program they call, so having an emms-info-ytdl is in line with the
current design.

> and have the mechanism
> inside to support multiple backends, one of which would be ytdl.

At this moment I only have time for this one - feel free to improve it
to support more urls.

> Also, small correction: (add-to-list emms-info-functions
> 'emms-info-ytdl) -> (add-to-list 'emms-info-functions 'emms-info-ytdl)

Sure I'll fix that.

Best,
Yuchen

--
PGP Key: 47F9 D050 1E11 8879 9040  4941 2126 7E93 EF86 DFD0
          <https://ypei.org/assets/ypei-pubkey.txt>