Re: Adding a description text property for a track

From: Mike Kazantsev
Subject: Re: Adding a description text property for a track
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 22:48:41 +0500

On Fri, 26 Nov 2021 11:27:46 +1100
Yuchen Pei <hi@ypei.me> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> How about we add a description text property to tracks, something
> like the following in (defun emms-track-simple-description
> (track):

> The reason I'm proposing this is that:
>
> 1. In my only usage of emms of playing urls over http / youtube-dl
> / sftp, I can't seem to get any descriptions of any tracks for
> display.
> 2. It could be used for caching descriptions and reducing work
> required to load native playlists.
>
> WDYT?
>
> On a side note, it would also be nice to have a description
> function that feeds back the media title obtained by media players
> like mpv, which could fix some of the description problems like
> youtube-dl.

Doesn't (customize-set-variable 'emms-player-mpv-update-metadata t)
work for that use-case with mpv already?

Dunno about 'description tag itself - can't 'name be used for similar
purposes already?

And if a fixed one-liner description with some custom meaning is
needed, I'd think it'd make sense to have a custom info function to
interpret it somehow.

--
Mike Kazantsev // fraggod.net