Re: Recovering playback state of multiple playlists and over multiple se

From: Yuchen Pei
Subject: Re: Recovering playback state of multiple playlists and over multiple sessions
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 09:43:54 +1100

Yoni Rabkin <yoni@rabkins.net> writes:

Yuchen Pei <hi@ypei.me> writes:

Hello,

I often have several long playlists of spoken words, mostly conference talks and lectures, and I wonder how I can resume where I left from last time. I have them all saved in native playlist files, and load
them manually when I start an emacs session.

There are two problems:

1. Say I have two playlists A and B, A is at track 42 at 23:00 and B is at track 73 at 87:32. I just paused track 42 of A and would like to resume track 73 of B. How do I do that? If I navigate to B and
press RET (emms-playlist-mode-play-smart) or invoke
(emms-playlist-mode-play-current-track), track 73 will start from the beginning, rather than 87:32. If I navigate to B and press P, track 42 of A will resume. I also tried switching to playlist B at the metaplaylist first, but that did not seem to help either.

2. Say I have one playlist A at track 42 at 23:00. How do I save it, close emacs and resume at track 42 at 23:00 next time I open emacs and load the playlist? I tried saving the playlist as a native playlist,
but when I load it starts from track 1 again.

`emms-bookmarks' has code to support this, but it isn't extensively developed because this is an edge case and doesn't come up very often. I have used `emms-bookmarks' in the (far) past and I remember it working
well enough at the time.

Thanks for the pointer.

As I understand it emms-bookmarks's goal is to restore the playback position in a media file, but not to restore to the item in a playlist across emacs sessions (my second problem). I tried emms-bookmark-add on an item, switched to another playlist and played something there, and came back to the item, and did emms-bookmark-next. It didn't restore the position. I'll have to look more into it.

One of my uses for Emms is to watch video's stored on my disk, and many of them are very long (6 or 4 hour endurance races). In that case I use the mpv backend with its save-position-on-quit option, so both saving
and continuation is handled outside of Emms.

I tried save-position-on-quit - it doesn't seem to work on streams over https and ssh, which are the only things I play with emms these days...

This also does not address the second problem. I guess I'll have to hack out something myself.

Do you think restoring to an item in a playlist across emacs sessions is also an edge case?

--
Best,
Yuchen

PGP Key: 47F9 D050 1E11 8879 9040  4941 2126 7E93 EF86 DFD0
          <https://ypei.me/assets/ypei-pubkey.txt>