emacs-tangents

Re: A Zine/Newsletter for ELPA

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: A Zine/Newsletter for ELPA
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 10:15:39 +0000

Sacha Chua <sacha@sachachua.com> writes:

>> but also commented on and "reviewed".  This seems to suggest a review
>> site.  (A quick web search suggests that there are frameworks out
>> there to facilitate creating such sites.)  That said, posting
>> opinions seems of low value and rarely actionable (see below).
>
> Prot does a great job of writing blog posts and often making videos about
> his new packages, which are usually posted to GNU ELPA. I link to these in
> Emacs News, and they'll probably come up in searches as well. I notice that
> interesting new packages tend to get picked up in blog posts and Reddit
> threads in the weeks after the packages are published. I currently don't
> have the time to summarize posts beyond quick links, but perhaps someone
> would like to do a monthly round up like the way This Month in Org does?

This is totally understandable, but yes something like "This Month in
Org" would be good reference.

>> Perhaps also a place where people can post ideas for packages
>> This is a conversation.  Would not a mailing list suffice.  What is
>> wrong with help-gnu-emacs?

Nothing is wrong with it, it is just that there are plenty of people who
don't know or don't follow it in detail.

> I sometimes see conversations like that grow out of mailing lists or
> web-based forums like Reddit. Ideas are pretty easy to float, though, and
> it's hard to match them up with a person with the same itch. It seems to
> work out better when people share what they've figured out so far, then
> other people say they want something like that too, and then the code gets
> turned into a package.

>> or where abandoned packages can find new maintainers.
>> How would this relate to https://github.com/emacsattic?

That is for packages that have lost a maintainer, right?  So the package
must have gone on without any maintenance for long enough for someone
reviewing patches and fixing issues like new warnings or the usage of
deprecated functions.  I was thinking about a place where a maintainer
could announce that they don't have the interest or the time to attend
to a package, so that a replacement could been found sooner.

> When there's an announcement, I usually put it in a Help Wanted section at
> the start of Emacs News.

I did not know that you do that, in that case this specific idea is
superfluous.

>> I am very impressed with Eli's leadership of emacs development.
>
> Eli is awesome!

1+

>> More immediately, look at his effort to drive toward better
>> abstraction and unification of the existing find-file and
>> find-sibling-file with Damien Cassou's pending related-files.  This is
>> exactly the sort of effort I would hope to support.  I see such
>> activities as curation.  Thus I could imagine an emacs-curate mailing
>> list.  I would be happy to subscribe.
>
> Andres Ramirez has been sending me links to interesting emacs-devel
> messages for possible inclusion in Emacs News. I'd love to get other
> people's links and notes as well. I read emacs-devel on a very cursory
> level (mostly looking at subjects and what Eli replies :) ), so extra
> context would be great!

I didn't know this either, I will keep this in mind.  If there are
interesting bug reports, would you be interested in my notifying you?