emacs-tangents

Re: Free software politics, not world politics please

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Free software politics, not world politics please
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2022 14:21:58 +0200

On 2022-06-25, at 12:41, Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:

> By promoting delivery of weapons Herr Uwe Brauer also promotes
> continuance of further killing in Ukraine.

While I do not claim that Uwe should or should not delete his signature
(my personal opinion is he need not delete it, but I am not 100% sure it
doesn't conflict with this list's standards), I feel obliged to point
out that the above opinion of Jean looks nonsensical.  From what I know,
Ukrainians do their best to _stop_ the war, and I find it probable that
what they are doing is a _just war_
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_war_theory).

An imperfect analogy.  Imagine a serial killer shooting at unarmed kids
in a school.  Imagine someone may or may not provide a weapon to a guard
who would then be able to kill the murderer.  Would you call giving the
guard a weapon "promoting continuance of further killing at that
school"?  I surely would not.  I _would_ prefer disarming the killer in
such a way that _he_ wasn't killed, obviously, but if that is not
possible, I consider it morally acceptable to kill him.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl