emacs-tangents

Re: Elisp LSP Server

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Elisp LSP Server
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 08:58:47 +1100

> (Moved to emacs-tangents.)
>
> Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I also think what is really needed in the free software community is
>> [...] a well designed free javascript library which would facilitate
>> the development of web UIs that would allow sites like
>> savannah.gnu.org to have an interface as functional and modern looking
>> as github using free software.
>
> What's wrong with e.g. React (MIT License) or Angular (MIT License)?

There is quite a bit considered "wrong" about the MIT License (see the
GNU Project page on free licenses). However, I probably should have said
"framework" rather than library. The problem with both react and angular
is that much of the time, sites are created based on those technologies,
but using higher level abstractions for components or infrastructure
that sit on top of a react or angular base which do not have free
licenses.

What I was meaning to say is that what is needed is a free technology
stack where all the components - e.g. authentication layer, middleware,
model/database, ui/view components and controllers are all free
software and which have appropriate free software licenses.