emacs-tangents

Re: [ELPA] New package: repology.el

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: repology.el
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2021 21:23:46 +0300

* Ulrich Mueller <ulm@gentoo.org> [2021-01-08 17:34]:
> > * Ulrich Mueller <ulm@gentoo.org> [2021-01-07 22:38]:
> >> Gentoo is about choice, and has always leaned a little on the pragmatic
> >> side. If we would (for example) exclude all non-free Linux firmware,
> >> then I am certain that in order to have a usable system, most users
> >> would choose to install such firmware nevertheless, bypassing the
> >> package manager. Again, our default there is to install only free
> >> firmware, but we leave users the choice to install additional blobs when
> >> they explicitly ask for it.
>
> > Then maybe that is how users are trained or indoctrinated into Gentoo
> > as managers or maintainers of Gentoo did not teach users about free
> > software. I am sorry for that. That is why Gentoo will not be endorsed
> > by GNU project.
>
> I know, and presumably it will never be. Gentoo as a source-based distro
> can also be seen as a "metadistribution" or "distribution toolkit",
> so it is relatively easy to use it as basis for building a binary
> distribution. Distros derived from Gentoo may have completely different
> goals, and examples include Ututo XS (which used to be on the FSF's
> whitelist IIRC) and Chromium OS.

Dear Ulrich,

I understand and I like the technology running Gentoo, as how I know
it, it is valuing source and then users can build it straight from
source, I hope I am right as I did not use it myself.

On the other hand, I cannot recommend it to my friends or business
partners as it does have different purpose then being a fully free
GNU/Linux distribution, so I recommend those like Guix, Trisquel,
Hyperbola, Parabola, PureOS, and others FSF endorsed distributions
like here: https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html

Jean