emacs-tangents

Re: [ELPA] New package: repology.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: repology.el
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2021 22:00:59 +0200

> Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2021 22:38:15 +0300
> From: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
> Cc: arthur.miller@live.com, rms@gnu.org, ams@gnu.org,
>   dgutov@yandex.ru, ulm@gentoo.org, emacs-tangents@gnu.org
>
> Software repository is promotion of software.

repostory.org is not a repository of software.  It is a list of
software.

> Repository package descriptions are promotion of software.
>
> The Wiktionary describes it as "dissemination of information in order
> to increase its popularity" in the context of what we speak of:

Where do you see the "in order to increase its popularity" part?  That
would mean to say something about the non-free packages that would
represent them as beneficial or better than others or worthy of
installing and using.  I see none of that.

Just saying that a package exists and showing where its repository is
etc. is nowhere near promotion, it's simply information.

> In general I am surprised that some people like or wish to get access
> to descriptions of non-free software packages through GNU ELPA.

GNU ELPA is not the issue here.  The issue here is total rejection of
software that dares to provide information about software packages
which might not be Free Software.  I explained why finding such
information is important to me in my role as a GNU maintainer.