Re: HowTo: Upgrade org-mode installation from the command-line

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: HowTo: Upgrade org-mode installation from the command-line
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 13:10:34 +0000

"Cook, Malcolm" <MEC@stowers.org> writes:

> The section on org-mode
> [[https://orgmode.org/org.html#Installation][Installation]] entitled "Using
> Emacs packaging
> system" might be improved with the following advice:

Thanks!

> Note: For the upgraded version to be loaded by emacs, you mush place
> `package-initialize` early in your init.el.  Failure to do so will
> result in the old system version to be loaded, as can be seen:

This is only true when running emacs -Q or emacs -q.
For normal emacs invocation, since Emacs 27, by default, Emacs calls
(package-initialize) automatically on startup.

> Note further that if the above upgrade command was done in an emacs
> shell buffer, you will need to restart emacs to pick up the updated
> package.  Failing to do so will result in `meta-x org-version`
> reporting the old version:
>
> #+begin_src src
> Org mode version 9.6.15 (release_9.6.15 @
> /usr/local/share/emacs/30.0.50/lisp/org/)
> #+end_src
>
> but after restart with my init.el file it reports:
>
> #+begin_src src
> Org mode version 9.6.27 ( @
> /home/mec/.dotfiles/emacs/.emacs.d/elpa/org-9.6.27/)
> #+end_src

Examples are probably a bit too much for the manual.
It should be sufficient to ask to restart existing Emacs sessions, if
any.

May you prepare a patch modifying doc/org-manual.org with your suggestions?
See https://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,