Re: MathML and ODT export: inline possible?

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: MathML and ODT export: inline possible?
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 23:19:34 +0700

On 18/04/2024 22:51, Fraga, Eric wrote:
In LaTeX, something like $a_{b_c}$.  Pandoc generates

(where the a, b, and c are <mi>...</mi>) whereas, by hand, I use

MathJax may be your friend. LaTeXML and katex do not add <mrow> as well.

Actually I asked to confirm that your troubles are not with proper escaping of input to a converter.

I have not used katex before, I just noticed it in
Martin Edström. Re: Warn about shell-expansion in the docstring of org-latex-to-html-convert-command. Wed, 21 Feb 2024 15:57:47 +0100.
https://list.orgmode.org/CADojovJHoC5ZZATF1y7Uw2dEqNdhMDp5Ka8mgzujHUfkgTeE4Q@mail.gmail.com

During my quick try of LaTeXML I learned that "--preload=siunitx.sty" should not be used with fresh TeXLive despite it is recommended in the `org-latex-to-html-convert-command' docstring.

Pandoc also wraps the inner contents of the <math>...</math> block in
<semantics>.  I do not know what that does as I've only just started
learning mathml.

I have seen <semantics> as well, but I did not go deeper. I recall the following in the context of screen readers:

T.V Raman. Re: Org mode export accessibility. Sat, 09 Jul 2022 06:20:27 -0700.
https:list.orgmode.org/p91czeeo21w.fsf@google.com

MathJax is a wonderful thing and the LaTeX expression embedded in the
HTML is the best one can do -- MathML loses semantics -- which is why I
always recommend preserving the LaTeX when going to HTML.