Re: Using search options in HTTP-style links

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Using search options in HTTP-style links
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 11:48:11 +0000

Joseph Turner <joseph@ushin.org> writes:

> (eww "https://ushin.org/needs-list.org#%3A%3A%23care";)
>
> ...loads the file in eww-mode with point at the top of the file.
>
> I think it would be more useful to instead activate org-mode (or a mode
> which derives from it - "eww-org-mode"?), decode the link fragment, and
> then jump to the location specified by the search option.

There is a convention for pdfs:
http://www.example.com/document.pdf#page=5
But, AFAIK, it is not RFC.

So, there is nothing stopping from creating an ad-hoc convention to
parse URL locators in links to PDFs or org files or whatnot.

However, the question about activating a major mode on web content is a
question to Emacs developers. It should be considered carefully, because
activating major modes may not be safe.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,