Re: [possible patch] Remove the '\\[0pt]' string from the last line of a

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [possible patch] Remove the '\\[0pt]' string from the last line of a verse block in LaTeX export
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 15:09:42 +0000

>>> I would suggest to strip leading and trailing newlines before processing
>>> of the block content.
>>
>> May you elaborate?
>
> I expect that
>
> #+BEGIN_VERSE
>

>  From fairest creatures we desire increase,
> That thereby beauty’s rose might never die,
>

> #+END_VERSE
>
> is exported to
>
> \begin{verse}
>  From fairest creatures we desire increase,\\
> That thereby beauty’s rose might never die,
> \end{verse}
>
> and internally at some point it is represented as
> "From fairest creatures we desire increase,\nThat thereby beauty’s rose
> might never die,"
> without leading and trailing newlines.

This has nothing to do with what happens when exporting verse blocks.

If you try a simple example like

* Heading
First.

Foo
#+BEGIN_VERSE

 From fairest creatures we desire increase,
That thereby beauty’s rose might never die,

#+END_VERSE
Bar

Foo
#+BEGIN_VERSE
 From fairest creatures we desire increase,
That thereby beauty’s rose might never die,
#+END_VERSE
Bar

you will see that lading and trailing spaces are insignificant:

\section{Heading}
\label{sec:orgc54e19b}
First.

Foo
\begin{verse}
\hspace*{1\fontdimen2\font}From fairest creatures we desire increase,\\

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,