Re: [BUG] conda doesn't work in ob-shell sessions

From: Matt
Subject: Re: [BUG] conda doesn't work in ob-shell sessions
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 20:14:47 +0100

 ---- On Wed, 24 Jan 2024 16:20:16 +0100  Ihor Radchenko  wrote ---
 > Jack Kamm jackkamm@tatersworld.org> writes:
 >
 > > Ihor Radchenko yantar92@posteo.net> writes:
 > >
 > >> What about the attached patch?
 > >
 > > I applied the patch to main, but the behavior was the same as before.
 >
 > What about the attached second version of the patch?

I spent way too long trying to test it but I'm not sure I applied the patch
correctly.

I did the following, then realized that the patch I applied undid changes (I
assume) from a previous patch and so it must have been applied on top of
another one.  I then wasted a bunch of time trying to apply various
combinations of the four patches I found in the thread.  One of the patches has
trailing whitespace yet the various --ignore options of git am didn't seem to
ignore it.  I guess I could have looked at the timestamps and used git apply in
sequence?

Should make autoloads also be run after applying the patches?

Here's what I was able to do:

In a VM, installed conda as described by their page.  Specifically, my .bashrc
was modified to activate the base environment.   Closed terminal, opened it
into the base environment, and created a new environment, emacs-test.

Downloaded the latest org-mode by git-clone and did make autoloads.  Added the
org-mode git repo's lisp directory to my early-init.el.

Applied patch with

  git apply --cache --ignore-space-changes --ignore-whitespace
2-v2-0001-lisp-ob-comint.el-Introduce-a-fallback-prompt-reg.patch

Doing plain git apply failed.

With the changes in the org-mode index, the base environment activated, I run
'emacs' and confirm I'm using the org-mode git with the patch applied (ob-shell
doesn't set org-babel-comint-prompt in ).

Then

(org-babel-do-load-languages 'org-babel-load-languages '((shell . t)))

#+begin_src shell :results output :session *shell*
conda activate emacs-test
#+end_src

It hangs.  C-g and switch to shell buffer shows the following (note, this was
typed in and not copy-pasted because VM):

(base) user@debian:~$ PROMPT_COMMAND=;PS1="org_babel_sh_prompt> ";PS2=
org_babel_sh_prompt> conda activate emacs-test
echo 'org_babel_sh_eoe'
(emacs-test) org_babel_sh_prompt> 'org_babel_sh_eoe'
(emacs-test) org_babel_sh_prompt>

--
Matt Trzcinski
Emacs Org contributor (ob-shell)