Re: [BUG] beamer export

From: Leo Butler
Subject: Re: [BUG] beamer export
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 16:58:24 +0000

On Sat, Jan 20 2024, Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@posteo.net> wrote:

> Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Leo Butler <Leo.Butler@umanitoba.ca> writes:
>>
>>> The following Org document shows a bug in the beamer exporter.
>>
>> Confirmed on main.
>
> I investigated further.

Thanks.

>> There are two bugs reported here:
>> 1. ox-latex export bug for src blocks containing direct LaTeX when
>>    org-latex-src-block-backend is set to its default 'verbatim value
>
> This appears to be Beamer-specific problem with verbatim environments:
> https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/140719/verbatim-in-beamer-showing-error-file-ended-while-scanning-use-of-xverbatim
>
> The solution might be to use [fragile] frame parameter, but that might
> have its own drawbacks:
> https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/136240/drawbacks-of-using-fragile-frames-in-beamer

Yes, an *automatic* solution may create more problems than it solves.
Although, I do note that ox-beamer does mark some frames as fragile already.
I wonder how difficult it would be to add a property drawer to frames,
so (amongst other things), they could be marked fragile?

>> 2. ox-beamer export bug as described in the attached org file
>
> This is not a bug. When you specify ignoreheading environment, you imply
> that the contents of the heading is to be included as is.
> If you want the contents to become a column, you should specify column
> environment.

I see. That is not now the ignoreheading property is described. It says
[1]:

    ... As the text in the slide says, the left column is a list and the
    right one is an image. The left column's headline text is ignored,
    specified by =C-c C-b i= which tells org to *ignore* the headline
    text completely.

I think the documentation and example needs to be corrected. I have
attached a patch. I have also attached a revision of the original org
file with the bug report, and its export to pdf to demonstrate that the
revised example works as intended.

Best,
Leo

[1] worg/exporters/beamer/tutorial.org