Re: Developing Moodle resources/sites with Org Mode

From: Brett Presnell
Subject: Re: Developing Moodle resources/sites with Org Mode
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 11:57:19 -0500

> I have begun thinking about how I might use Org mode to improve the
> experience of developing resources for the open source Moodle LMS or even
> developing entire Moodle sites.

Nice idea.  You might find it useful to look into the source code for
the R/Exams package for R (https://www.r-exams.org/).  The format there
is RMarkdown as opposed to org mode, but I imagine a lot of the same
ideas might apply.  I'm pretty sure that Moodle was the original
platform that the developers were using, but they now support most of
the big platforms.

> I have already written a statistics exam with Org Mode and Maxima.  I can
> generate as many different versions of a question (and associated answer key
> and solution set) as I wish with almost no additional effort.  In order to
> facilitate import into Moodle STACK, I have had to restrict my access to
> Maxima variables using accessors also written in Maxima ... I import the
> Maxima block into the accessor with noweb.  I end up re-running the same
> chunk of Maxima code over and over, once for each variable access, because
> there is no Maxima session.  It is kind of stupid but I tossed it together in
> three days.  I suppose I could store the results of a Maxima run in a table
> and just do table lookups but I've got the spare compute cycles to run Maxima
> over and over until I sort this all out.  I think Maxima session is the right
> way to go but I'm inexperienced with all this and would appreciate guidance.

I've used R/Exams a good bit by now, and I always generate at least 16
random versions of every quiz or exam.  The process is pretty automatic.