Re: Developing Moodle resources/sites with Org Mode

From: Leo Butler
Subject: Re: Developing Moodle resources/sites with Org Mode
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 19:23:16 +0000

On Wed, Jan 17 2024, Edward Doolittle <ejdoolittle@outlook.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm new to Org Mode but I really enjoy working with it.
>
> I have begun thinking about how I might use Org mode to improve the
> experience of developing resources for the open source Moodle LMS or
> even developing entire Moodle sites. Currently I develop Moodle
> content for mathematics courses using their online editors which are
> quite basic. I would like to be able to edit in Emacs and preview my
> work before uploading to Moodle. Below are four potential use cases I
> see:
>
> 1) ​Development of HTML pages to upload to Moodle. This can already be
> done with Org export to HTML/MathJax. One nice bonus: it is possible
> to integrate diagrams and graphs into a Moodle HTML page using
> JSXgraph. JSXgraph is just Javascript so is already supported in Org
> Mode. A couple of small modifications to the js block will create a
> jsxgraph source block in Org mode which will enable immediate preview
> of static graphs in PNG format and preview of dynamic graphs by
> exporting to HTML. Decent LaTeX versions of pages with static graphs
> could easily be exported. I am very close to setting this up. I have
> JSGgraphs producing PNG files on the command line with node.js and the
> jsxgraph.js library. A few lines of elisp to wrap jsxgraph blocks in
> the appropriate incantations is all that is needed.
>
> 2) Development of Moodle glossaries. Glossaries can be uploaded to a
> Moodle site using an appropriate XML file. Glossaries could be
> developed in Org mode, including JSXgraph diagrams and graphs, PNG
> images, and so on, and then Org mode converted to XML and the XML
> transformed to Moodle Glossary XML using XSLT. (I don't really know
> those tools at all, so I don't know if that would be a good way to go
> about the process; exporting directly to Moodle Glossary was my first
> thought, but it is not a general export that is necessary or
> appropriate, rather an export of a specifically designed Org
> file. XSLT seems old fashioned but there are tools around, and there
> is a project for exporting Org mode to XML.)
>
> 3) Development of Moodle quiz question databases. I know less about
> the format but it is documented at some level on the Moodle help
> site. From what I understand the same process for exporting a glossary
> would work for a question database (Org -> Org XML -> XSLT -> Moodle
> XML), but question database are rather more complicated than
> glossaries, with numerous different types of questions. Still, it is
> mostly straightforward for simple question types. However, I am
> particularly interested in the STACK question type, which is a mixture
> of HTML, LaTeX (MathJax), and Maxima code, which can be used (for
> example) to randomize a question. Maxima source code blocks already
> work well in Org mode. Some work might need to be done connecting them
> to LaTeX in which {@maxima-variable@} can be used to refer to
> [...]

Hi Edward,

Thanks for your extended thoughts. I have had similar, but much less
articulate, thoughts for a while.

I have used org-mode to do all my STACK question authoring for a few
years now [1]. I do all the writing in emacs and then copy/paste into the
STACK textareas, test, repeat. It is not elegant, but it is easier than
working in a web-browser. It would be really nice to be able to create
the entire question in emacs, because defining graders in STACK is
pretty tedious.

I agree that we need ob-maxima.el to properly handle sessions. Note that
you can use Maxima to create graphs, too.

One thing that I am not sure I understand about your thoughts: do you
envision a Moodle emulator based on org-mode, or do you just want to be
able to write Moodle questions or glossaries with org-mode?

Best regards,
Leo

[1]
https://sourceforge.net/p/maxima/mailman/maxima-discuss/thread/87a6d4ajgk.fsf%40t14.reltub.ca/#msg37634141