Re: [possible patch] Remove the '\\[0pt]' string from the last line of a

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: Re: [possible patch] Remove the '\\[0pt]' string from the last line of a verse block in LaTeX export
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 16:05:12 +0000

Ihor Radchenko writes:

>> Can anyone think of a possible scenario where removing the '\\[0pt]' in
>> the last line would cause a problem? If not, I might send a patch in the
>> next few days. (I'm afraid that going back to abusing
>> replace-regexp-in-string. I can't think of any other more elegant
>> solution...).
>
> In such scenario, we may technically violate what users ask us to do:
>
> #+begin_verse
> I really want newline here\\
> #+end_verse

I'm not sure if users asked for that specifically.

You want a new line when there is a new line.

This makes sense:

 #+begin_verse
 I really want newline here\\
 blah...
 #+end_verse

This does not:

 #+begin_verse
 I really want newline here\\
 #+end_verse

For LaTeX it is the same as this:

 #+begin_verse
 I really want newline here
 #+end_verse

But this specifically alters the expected result in LaTeX, modifying the
space after the environment:

 #+begin_verse
 I really want newline here\\[0pt]
 #+end_verse

What is the cause? I don't know. But it happens.

Best regards,

Juan Manuel