Re: Should org-link-parser add type "file" when link has no "file:" pref

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Should org-link-parser add type "file" when link has no "file:" prefix?
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2024 13:20:13 +0000

Joseph Turner <joseph@ushin.org> writes:

>> See `org-open-file' IN-EMACS argument - we may use different handlers
>> to open file links. Currently, IN-EMACS can be 'system or 'emacs. But
>> nothing stops us from adding more options.
>
> Thanks!  Are you suggesting something like [[file+hyper:/README.org]] ?

Yes.

>> This will cause major issues when trying to export such links.
>> Except for HTML export that utilizes `org-html-link-use-abs-url', but
>> only for relative links.
>
> Yes, there are many users who rely on [[file:/index.html]] exporting to

This is not what Org HTML export does. Only relative links are affected
by `org-html-link-use-abs-url':

Documentation
Should we prepend relative links with HTML_LINK_HOME?

Absolute links always remain absolute.

>> Why not make [[hyper:/README.org]] use the "default" hyperdrive the
>> Org file belongs to.
>
> I'd like for users to be able to take an existing directory of Org mode
> documents and copy them all into a hyperdrive.  I think the least
> surprising behavior is for the links between those files to continue
> working.  Perhaps the best option is for hyperdrive.el to make all "file"
> type links, explicit or not, point to other files inside the hyperdrive?
>
> In that case, there would be no way for Org mode files in a hyperdrive
> to point to the local filesystem.  Similarly, when Org documents are
> exported to HTML, there's no way to export <a href="file:///index.html">.

May you please elaborate? How is hyperdrive directory different from
local directory?

>> For example, see WIP patch where we expose setting id: link properties:
>> https://list.orgmode.org/orgmode/c98a38b0-6dea-4b5c-b00f-a39ea922537f@app.fastmail.com/
>
> How would the :follow function for "file:" links get access to the link
> search option?  IIUC, `org-link-open' handles "file:" links specially because
> they require
>
> (org-element-property :search-option link)

:follow functions are passed both path and search option.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,