Re: [Bug] org-update-dblock randomly broken for more than 10 columns and

From: Jakob Schöttl
Subject: Re: [Bug] org-update-dblock randomly broken for more than 10 columns and larger files
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 20:18:27 +0200

So, org-update-dblock or org-dblock-write:columnview is adding trailing spaces in the org file. These spaces change the behavior of subsequent calls which will add even more spaces.

Here is a minimal example:

* Table
#+BEGIN: columnview :format "%a %b %c %d %e %f %g"
#+END:

This works as expected. But for each field you add, one trailing space is appended to the heading when the org-dblock-update is called.

In larger files, I cannot see any logic behind the added spaces so far.

I tested in Emacs 29.1 and org-mode 9.6.6. (Don't know how to use latest version from git repo.)

The function org-dblock-write:columnview is mostly by Nicolas Goaziou (from 2016 and 2018). Hello Nicolas, I've added you here. Maybe you have an idea what this could be?

Anyway, I'm afraid I can't contribute and fix it. I have no experience with elisp, tooling, debugging, and the org-mode code base. I need this export feature and will write a org2csv extraction script in Haskell. I'm aware that it would be much more helpful in org-mode itself – but sorry...