Re: [patch] Fix inner smart quotes in French

From: Bastien Guerry
Subject: Re: [patch] Fix inner smart quotes in French
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 11:20:42 +0200

Hi Juan,

Juan Manuel Macías <maciaschain@posteo.net> writes:

> In any case (apart from LaTeX), it is clear that I was wrong when I said
> that the inner quotes that my patch 'corrects' were 'incorrect'.

Indeed, and thanks for the discussion, interesting.

> What I
> don't know is why babel-french defaults to the « “inner” » style. Is it
> canonical, I don't mind having my patch 'fix' reverted.

It's difficult to say what's more common but since we cannot expect
since, even in LaTeX, babel-french defaults to the « “inner” » style,
I suggest we stick to the « “inner” » style (this is a defcustom and
users can change it.)

Thanks!

--
 Bastien Guerry