Re: [BUG] Issues in ol-gnus when storing links in nnvirtual and nnselect

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: [BUG] Issues in ol-gnus when storing links in nnvirtual and nnselect articles [9.7-pre (release_9.6.7-570-gd6f3ae.dirty @ /home/jschmidt/work/org-mode/lisp/)]
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2023 21:54:01 +0700

On 23/07/2023 21:13, Jens Schmidt wrote:
Gnus can have a global Message-ID cache, but it's not on by default (at
least not in Emacs 28, haven't checked others).  And anyway, it's a
potentially incomplete *cache*, and not an *index*.

Thank you for clarification. Certainly just Message-ID is not enough without the index.

For nntp groups you already have the option to store links as web links
to groups.google.com, by means of `org-gnus-prefer-web-links'.

I believe that links may be converted to web archives either to open or to export them. In a document I would prefer a more general form like
b0d3fee0-0dc9-a7ee-32dd-478297cb6b2d@vodafonemail.de">news://news.gmane.io/gmane.emacs.orgmode/b0d3fee0-0dc9-a7ee-32dd-478297cb6b2d@vodafonemail.de
though group name is redundant.

In Thunderbird links to known articles work reasonably well
<mid:b0d3fee0-0dc9-a7ee-32dd-478297cb6b2d@vodafonemail.de>
I do not think, mid: links are ideal, but it is off-topic in this thread.

For storing links I would avoid volatile parts like mail folder where a message *currently* resides or name of virtual folder/group specific to user configuration as well as application-specific URIs.

I admit that due to gnus design, group names are unavoidable for some backends. I do not see a better way than the approach implemented in the suggested patch.