Re: [BUG] org-element loading fails with "regexp" argument not "stringp"

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [BUG] org-element loading fails with "regexp" argument not "stringp"
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2023 10:35:57 +0000

Justin <justinvallon@gmail.com> writes:

> Using emacs 26.1 (in case it matters).  Loading is failing at:
>
> (defconst org-element--current-element-re
>    (rx
>     (or
>      (group-n 1 (regexp org-element--latex-begin-environment-nogroup))
>
> rx is a macro, and so org-element* is not being evaluated.  It's
> complaining that the argument to regexp is not a stringp.
>
> Does the rx argument need a backquote?  org-element-clock-line-re uses
> rx-to-string with a backquote?

No, it does not need.
The failure is because Emacs 26 does not yet support (regex variable).

However, you will see many more failures with Emacs 26 on the latest
main.

I am not sure if we need to try tackling them all, considering that Org
9.7 will not need to be compatible with Emacs 26.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,