Re: org-mode export to html fails for unknown link types - telephone lin

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: org-mode export to html fails for unknown link types - telephone links
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2023 15:32:48 +0000

Eugen Stan <eugen@ieugen.ro> writes:

> I am building my wedding page with org mode. Yay!.
> I tried to add telephone links so people can click on the link and it
> will do something useful.
>
> I used this markup [[tel:(+40)55-555-555][(+40)55-555-555]] to produce
> something like <a href="tel:(+40)55-555-555">(+40)55-555-555</a> .
>
> However It failed because the tel: is not recognized link.

It is not what is happening.
[[arbitrary text not matching known link type]] links are treated as
fuzzy links searching within current buffer. See 4.2 Internal Links
section of Org manual.

So, Org tries to search for tel:... targets and named elements in
current buffer, fails to do so, and reports that the link is broken to
the user.

> I believe the default behavior of failing to export when encountering an
> unknown link type is not ok.

I hope it is clear now that it is not unknown link type. There is no
such notion in Org as a link with unknown link type.

> Support for tel: links might be added to org-mode by default since it is
> simple to add and quite useful, at least in HTML export .
> See https://css-tricks.com/the-current-state-of-telephone-links/ .

Agree. Patches welcome!

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,